Thursday, April 1, 2010

Old tires may fail and kill you

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

It says here that new tires on the shelf begin to
deteriorate. You should not use any tire older than
ten years.

I carry two spares on my pickup. I keep the
front tires for spares when I buy four new tires.
One morning I saw that one of the spares had broken,
the tube bulging through a hole in the tread.

Date stamp as seen on tire shows week and year
of manufacture.
0109 01 is first week of January, 09 is 2009
5209 is last week of Dec 2009

..............................................................................
PS For some ten years I have used 10 ply 235-85R-16
Buckshot Maxxis Mudders on the pickup. Best
mud and snow tire I ever saw, and fairly quiet at speed.

After reading the article on tire age I looked at them
for date of manufacture, and found in very small letters
"made in china".

I will look for a tire made in USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment